Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Phantoms not supporting anything higher than 24bits/48Khz
Finally the truth is out here...

Phantoms are not processing anything higher than 48khz !!!

Devialet tried to solve their networking problems of DOS1 by limiting DOS2 to 24/48khz instead of 24/96khz...
Network bandwidth divided by 2...
Unfortunately they did not communicated about this until now...

Also they are not very transparent on the change on their sound processing path from version to version...
(i.e DOS2 reduced noticeably bass level on the Gold's)

Keeping your customers in the dark is not the best way to build trust with your brand Devialet !

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2 x Phantom I 108db Dark Chrome in Direct Optical Mode to a Sonos Connect
Sonos Arc + Sub + 2 x Play:1
Sonos Playbar
4 Sonos zones of 2xPlay:1
Has anyone asked Devialet to comment on this?

I don't believe they comment on this forum.
I just called them at the flagship store.
They seems quite unprepared for the launch and not able to answer simple question or to tell the mains differences between the old and the new product.
I'm afraid we can't expect more than what have been advertised on the product page.

Digital to Analog Converter
Devialet DAC embedded in Devialet intelligence Processor
24bits/96kHz (up to)
THD: -112dB
Operating System

Devialet Operating System 2 (DOS 2) up to 24bits/48kHz (limited to)
Please excuse my poor reputation
(02-Feb-2021, 11:14)denis Wrote: Finally the truth is out here...

Phantoms are not processing anything higher than 48khz !!!

Devialet tried to solve their networking problems of DOS1 by limiting DOS2 to 24/48khz instead of 24/96khz...
Network bandwidth divided by 2...
Unfortunately they did not communicated about this until now...

Also they are not very transparent on the change on their sound processing path from version to version...
(i.e DOS2 reduced noticeably bass level on the Gold's)

Keeping your customers in the dark is not the best way to build trust with your brand Devialet !
I was just venting about this in the Roon forum....they are literally stealing from their customers by reducing the specs of the speakers over and over again...with no explanation, nothing...this is not about building trust, this plain criminal...they need to put in place some kind of replacement program or something...these are 10k stereo system speakers!!!
ADH2 (Expert and Phantom I) and ADH3 (Phantom II) and the embedded DACs does support up to 192kHz. As @daibaron  points out it's limited to, not a hardware limitation
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I just commented in another thread here that Devialet in my opinion stretches quite out in terms of legality.
I wrote: At some point Devialet will need to explain their new product specifications. They still keep the product specs for the Golds to have a frequency range from 14Hz to 27kHz @-6dB but on the other hand there is no way to provide any digital signal above 48k, which results theoretically to a max frequency of 24kHz @-112dB when the filters are ideally bandstop. It’s a bit like the claim my Renault Twingo has a max speed of 350 km/h ... in zero gravity space! Probably, Devialet needs to go over their books not to collide with consumers protection laws in France and Europe at least.
(02-Feb-2021, 22:40)streamy Wrote: I just commented in another thread here that Devialet in my opinion stretches quite out in terms of legality.
I wrote: At some point Devialet will need to explain their new product specifications. They still keep the product specs for the Golds to have a frequency range from 14Hz to 27kHz @-6dB but on the other hand there is no way to provide any digital signal above 48k, which results theoretically to a max frequency of 24kHz @-112dB when the filters are ideally bandstop. It’s a bit like the claim my Renault Twingo has a max speed of 350 km/h ... in zero gravity space! Probably, Devialet needs to go over their books not to collide with consumers protection laws in France and Europe at least.

How big is the difference actually in real life?
(02-Feb-2021, 23:00)Vandema Wrote:
(02-Feb-2021, 22:40)streamy Wrote: I just commented in another thread here that Devialet in my opinion stretches quite out in terms of legality.

How big is the difference actually in real life?
If you're a bat the difference is huge, for humans not so much, but your mileage may vary.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(02-Feb-2021, 23:00)Vandema Wrote: How big is the difference actually in real life?
Same as my Twingo never drives in zero gravity space it is difficult to estimate what DOS2 users are missing compared to what the Phantoms delivered 4+ years ago.
It's called performance rating, they claim it sounds like and it feels like.
Hi-res audio files up to 24/96 will be downscaled to a lower resolution at 24/48, 24/192 won't be playable.
I hope the sound is not upscaled or reencoded (you never know) and is bit perfect.
Please excuse my poor reputation