Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
IsoAcoustics OREA isolation footers
(28-Jan-2019, 23:16)Confused Wrote: Some light reading per the link below.  This paper explains why products that use crystal oscillators are sensitive to vibration, and in a way that is conceivably bad for audio.  I believe that Devialet use crystal oscillators, but I have no idea what type.  Does anyone know?  Anyway, this does provide some insight as to why Devialet amps might benefit from isolation.  A while ago I read an article about isolating GPS control systems from vibration in guided missiles, this explained very similar issues per the link attached.

https://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/2328.pdf

Someone mentioned that power supplies, when cycling in and out, are a possible cause of vibration, albeit quite modest.  I know that Nordost recommends the first use of their Sort Kones be placed under the QBase power bar before under anything else in the system.  
I have a suspicion that most audio gear can benefit from this kind of design.
(02-Feb-2019, 22:47)Wdw Wrote: Someone mentioned that power supplies, when cycling in and out, are a possible cause of vibration, albeit quite modest.  I know that Nordost recommends the first use of their Sort Kones be placed under the QBase power bar before under anything else in the system.  

I thought this thread was strictly about IsoAcoustics OREA ?  wasn't it (as you'd pointed it out earlier).  Huh
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(03-Feb-2019, 01:31)audio_engr Wrote:
(02-Feb-2019, 22:47)Wdw Wrote: Someone mentioned that power supplies, when cycling in and out, are a possible cause of vibration, albeit quite modest.  I know that Nordost recommends the first use of their Sort Kones be placed under the QBase power bar before under anything else in the system.  

I thought this thread was strictly about IsoAcoustics OREA ?  wasn't it (as you'd pointed it out earlier).  Huh

well it is about Orea and by extension isolation.  I was responding to Confused's mention of the crystal in the DAC and this as a possible explanation of why these footers are effective.  I am baffled, as many are, as to why these isolators have such an obvious impact on a solid milled chassis.  Did you install yours?  How are they sounding?
Best
(02-Feb-2019, 20:34)mdconnelly Wrote: IsoAcoustics OREA Bronze are in the house!   Just got 2 sets of three for each of my 220 Pros (e.g. 440 Pro).   I have them setup separately so I put 3 OREAs under each - one in front and two in rear.   I don't want to exaggerate what I hear, but to my ears and in my system, the difference (improvement) was pretty obvious with the first track I listened to.   Better clarity and bigger soundstage.   More air between instruments and voices.  While this is not night and day difference, it is a very nice improvement.    What surprised the most was the improvement in top-end clarity and harmonic decay.   The extended shimmer of cymbals, decay of plucked strings or taps on triangles... was quite noticeable and unexpected.  

No need to add what I hear using these supports= mdconnelly has described it perfectly.
I am surprised but pleased.
Not cheap in Australia, but worth it. Once you use Devialet 400 or better, improvements become more expensive!
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
I have $10 Aldi door stops under my 400 amps - they have very impressive heft.
WTL TT / HP laptop (JRiver) / Devialet 400 / Marten Django / Crystal Cable

Sydney Australia
I've seen one review in which they said the sound was adversely effected by under-loading the pucks, and I tend to agree. I only ordered two Bronzes, because I've often heard improvements by just propping up the back of a unit on various supports (and it angles the Devialet so I can see the window better).

So what I don't get is, if you put a 6Kg Dev on three of them, they are each only loaded about 2Kg, which is well under half load, and they are not operating maximally.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
I suppose you could try and balance your unit on one isolator, but for practicality the minimum would be 3 for a steady footprint.

So as I understand, using 3 you could then isolate up to a 24kg. I don’t think many amp manufacturers make an amp as small as the devialet, so isoaccoustics is trying to appeal to the masses. But you are correct that if isoaccoustics made a smaller 3kg version than the bronze series it would be ideal for our amps.

And propping up with two as you plan may work, but I would think you need some kind of isolation in the front to take full advantage. Maybe a silicone “dot” that just raises and isolates the front edge a few mm’s.
(05-Feb-2019, 19:20)mmorrison55 Wrote: I suppose you could try and balance your unit on one isolator,  but for practicality the minimum would be 3 for a steady footprint.

So as I understand, using 3 you could then isolate up to a 24kg. I don’t think many amp manufacturers make an amp as small as the devialet,  so isoaccoustics is trying to appeal to the masses. But you are correct that if isoaccoustics made a smaller 3kg version than the bronze series it would be ideal for our amps.

And propping up with two as you plan may work, but I would think you need some kind of isolation in the front to take full advantage.  Maybe a silicone “dot” that just raises and isolates the front edge a few mm’s.

The attached chart shows the effective range of weight for if each of the products. A 220 comes in about 13 lbs, so bronze should be well within the effective range. Especially there is likely some extra weight at the back from the variouscords.

[img]blob:https://devialetchat.com/512e30a1-f76b-400e-b456-fa61145d294e[/img]
Devialet 220 Pro CI, IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze, B&W 804D's, Isoacoustics Gia II,  PS Audio P12,  Synergistic Research Devialet spec power Cord, Siltech 770L speaker cables, Qobuz, Roon Lifetime
                                    GTA, Canada
(07-Feb-2019, 03:35)Norty Wrote:
(05-Feb-2019, 19:20)mmorrison55 Wrote: I suppose you could try and balance your unit on one isolator,  but for practicality the minimum would be 3 for a steady footprint.

So as I understand, using 3 you could then isolate up to a 24kg. I don’t think many amp manufacturers make an amp as small as the devialet,  so isoaccoustics is trying to appeal to the masses. But you are correct that if isoaccoustics made a smaller 3kg version than the bronze series it would be ideal for our amps.

And propping up with two as you plan may work, but I would think you need some kind of isolation in the front to take full advantage.  Maybe a silicone “dot” that just raises and isolates the front edge a few mm’s.

The attached chart shows the effective range of weight for if each of the products. A 220 comes in about 13 lbs, so bronze should be well within the effective range. Especially there is likely some extra weight at the back from the variouscords.

[img]blob:https://devialetchat.com/512e30a1-f76b-400e-b456-fa61145d294e[/img]
It appears that chart did not come through, but it is on the website. Sorry my technical skills are not up to the level of many of you on this board
Devialet 220 Pro CI, IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze, B&W 804D's, Isoacoustics Gia II,  PS Audio P12,  Synergistic Research Devialet spec power Cord, Siltech 770L speaker cables, Qobuz, Roon Lifetime
                                    GTA, Canada
From technical support at IsoAcoustics, 3 Bronze are ideal for a 220.